Monday, July 21, 2008

A brief history of..me

So, I thought I would share a little history about myself and how I got into photography.

My father was always into cameras and photography. I remember him using his old Nikon ‘F’ for family portraits and such. I recall enjoying even using disposable cameras when we were on vacations when I was a kid and was always taking weird and wonderful shots. One day, when I was around 13 or 14, I wanted to use my dad’s camera. He wouldn’t let me (understandably :)). But he went digging in the basement and came up with something better than letting me use his camera…he gave me an old Olympus OM-1, in a vintage camera bag stuffed with goodies!! I couldn’t have been happier! Inside the bag was the camera with a 50mm f1.8 lens, a Makinon 80-200mm lens, cable release, some filters, an old copy of the National Geographic Photographers field guide, and an off camera flash mount! I couldn’t have been more excited. So I go buy some film and start shooting everything I can!

My best friend happened to have the same camera (in silver, so we could tell them apart) and he had a wide angle lens for his. So we would wander around my hometown, finding fun and exciting new places to take pictures! I still have a lot of them, so when I get a scanner, I may find the time to upload them. As I got older, and technology advanced, I got my hands on my first digital camera, a Panasonic DMC-F7. This camera was a little cheaper to operate, seeing as by now I was about 16 or so, and had more teenager-ish things to put my money towards ;). So I used this for awhile. It was a very good camera for its time, it had an excellent Leica lens and was great for macro shots. A year or so after I go that camera, my father had gotten a new digital camera, and I inherited his old one, a Nikon Coolpix 4300. This was an awesome camera. It had full manual control if I wanted it, excellent IQ and it was relatively small.

Now, I have never really known what I wanted to do in life, some people have it planned out from childhood. But I always knew I wanted to do something with photography, even if it was just to take a course in school for it to learn some fundamentals. Well, that wish came true in 2007. My lovely fiancĂ©, being the super thoughtful person she is, enrolled me in an online photography course through ICS Canada! When I am done, I will have a Career Diploma in Photography. The course is a little old school, but that’s okay, it covers developing and all the essentials on the fundamentals of photography (the stuff that never changes anyways). And, that’s why I wanted to upgrade to a DSLR, because I have a little more freedom to play around and experiment with pictures and not have to worry about wasting film and not knowing what the image looks like until I process it. Don’t get me wrong, I still love my OM-1 and will still use it when I want that nostalgic feeling.

So, before I got my D80, I had done extensive research on new cameras and thought I wanted to stick with Olympus. I had my heart set on the E-510. Then one day, we go to my parent’s house, and he had just bought a Nikon D60. I tried it out, and instantly loved how it felt in my hands and the layout of the menu and all the controls! So I flip-flopped back and forth with the idea of the Olympus E-510 or the Nikon D60. I went to my camera store and held the E-510, and it didn’t feel as nice in my hands, and I found the menu system not as intuitive. So I ruled that camera out. I went back to the drawing board, and started researching the Nikon’s. I took some more time with my dad’s D60, and while I liked it a lot, thought I might want something more advanced that would let me grow a little more into the camera and its functions. That’s when I found the D80. It had everything I wanted and then some. I went to the camera shop and held it. The decision was made right there. Roughly the same ergonomics as the D60, but a bit bigger, and more direct access to all the settings, plus a top LCD. Also, more autofocus points, and autofocus support for older lenses!

So, now the problem was funding. I had been laid off from my job at Dell in January. And we had just had our son, so money was a little tight to say the least. I started a camera fund, and put all my spare change into a container in the hopes of being able to put some money towards it by the end of the year. My birthday came around in May, and I asked if I were to get anything, it be a gift card to the camera shop. Well, at the time, I was spending too much time researching, and looking at lenses I wanted for a camera I didn’t even have yet! My fiancĂ© and my baby wanted me back. So she started a fundraiser. She sent out a letter to all our family asking to put in money so she could get me a gift card so I can finally get this camera. Well it worked! I got from work on my birthday, I had a vague idea of the fundraiser plan, so I was expecting a gift card, for maybe a couple of hundred dollars. I got lead upstairs, and there are 2 boxes on the bed. They are both bigger than a gift card. I am speechless at this point. I open them up as fast as I can. Inside, is the Nikon D80, 18-55 VR lens, am 8GB SDHC card, and a Lowepro camera case!! Holy crap. First I get the gift of our beautiful baby boy, then this! I am very lucky, to say the least. I think I said thank you to Dayna more times in the weeks to follow then I have ever said in my life. And the rest, as they say, is history :)

Thanks for reading my long post! As a reward, here are some new shots!



No comments: