Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Wolf at my Door

Hi everyone!
I have some great news!
My Uncle Doug has been writing a book about his battle with prostate cancer and it is now finished and available for sale! The book is titled "The Wolf at my Door". Here is a brief blurb about the book taken from the publishers website:

When Doug Gosling was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer at the relatively young age of forty-nine, it was the beginning of an incredible journey of profound discovery. As he says, “I came to realize that cancer was really two diseases in one; a physical disease of the body and also an emotional disease – a cancer of the mind, if you will.” In The Wolf at my Door, Doug engages us in a deep and open discussion of the two faces of this deadly disease. His incredible story has relevance to people with any type of cancer and, equally, for those who love and care for them.

Click here to check out more on the book and purchase it directly from the publishers site. You can also view his blog "Talking about Cancer".

I have known about this book for awhile now, and when the time got closer and closer to it being completed he approached me with an idea for the book cover, and having seen my photography work, he asked me to create the book cover. At first, he wanted just a picture of a door, then it evolved over time to including many elements digitally added in. Including a shadow of a wolf, and scratches on the door itself from the wolfs claws.

I was honored to be given this opportunity and immediately started scouting locations. I remembered visiting old historic site near my hometown when I was younger and thought it might have what we wanted. So I packed up the camera and the family and drove to go check it out. Well, I was in luck! We found an amazing old door that fit almost exactly with what Doug had described. I framed my shot and snapped a bunch of images. I processed the image soon after and printed a draft copy and sent it to him. He called me as soon as he got it, and said that it was perfect! We were both really excited and quickly began work on the fine details. Here is the image before any manipulation.



Okay, so that's it for now, a little teaser if you will! This weekend we are having a book launch party in Toronto for friends and family. Doug will be signing copies of the book and I will present a time line and progression of the book cover, from concept to finish! When that's done, I will post it up here as well so you all can see the changes the cover went through.

Thanks again for your support! I am very excited to have this book released, and can't wait to read it!
Happy Holidays everyone

Craig

No comments: